ETSU Photo Alumni Series: Emily Denton

Emily Denton

Emily Denton was born in Knoxville, Tenn. and currently lives and works in Lafayette, Indiana. Denton graduated with her B.F.A. from East Tennessee State University in 2013. Denton has exhibited locally and is currently enrolled in the graduate program at Purdue University.

Emily Denton

Emily, describe what you were looking for in a graduate program.

In a graduate program, I looked for a small and tight-knit program where I can easily become involved in the arts community. I looked for professors whom I can learn from so I can develop in new ways. I'll be studying with Korean artist Min Kim Park whose work is visually very different from mine, but her subject matter focuses around gender roles and feminism, which I'm very interested in. Lee Lynn, another professor I'll be working with, works in a darkroom and practices alternative processes, so I will be exposed to her more traditional methods while also learning from Min's modern techniques. I am required to take electronic and video arts classes too. This will challenge me but give me the opportunity to explore a new art medium. Lastly, I looked for a program that wants me. I was offered full tuition waive and a teaching assistantship, so I know that I'm desired. I wouldn't have accepted a program that didn't offer me benefits.

Emily Denton

What was your process like when applying for graduate schools? 

Before even considering applying, I knew I needed more than one solid body of work. It was very important for me to take time off after finishing undergrad. I took 3 years to myself, to center myself and to realize that art is a means for my survival. You learn how important it is to continue making pictures when you're choosing to do it on your own, without professors giving assignments. My process for applying to grad school consisted mostly of knowing when I was ready to start learning again. I wouldn't be satisfied with only a BFA. I needed to challenge myself to feel fulfilled.

Emily Denton

Did you apply to any other graduate programs?

I moved to Lafayette to be closer to my twin sister, Megan, who is getting her MFA at Purdue in Poetry. I was alone in Johnson City for 6 years, and it really took a toll on my mental health. I am so happy to be close to her again, and at this point, I'm not willing to relocate for school. I accidentally met a Purdue photography professor, Min Kim Park, who looked at my work and encouraged me to apply. Surprisingly, the program fit all of my needs, so I went with it. I applied to one school and got in. My story is unique and non-coincidental. My path was laid out in the stars.

For more on Emily's work, please visit her website.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contemporary Photographer Series - Victoria Sambunaris

MFA Candidate Jordan Whitten's Thesis Exhibition at Tipton Gallery

Contemporary Photographer Series - Roger May